About Me

My photo
I think that movies are a beautiful art form that can take us away into other worlds and other hearts and minds and create something magical.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Lilo and Stitch (2002)

Yes, it took me 12 years to see this movie. Don't judge me.

Lilo & Stitch Movie Poster

What a sweet heartwarming film this was. It made me miss Hawaii that's for sure. Sweet little Lilo doesn't fit in with her friends and her older sister, who struggles to keep a job, is left to raise her alone after their parents died in a car crash. Don't worry Disney, no one expects any of your characters to actually have both of their parents. Except Rapunzel in Tangled... anyway this movie is set in Hawaii and tells the story of Ohana, which means family and family means no one gets left behind.

Hawaiian Dancing


I liked that the movie talked about having a difficult family life and it is mentioned that her family is broken but they are still, in fact, a family. You root for Nani to be able to keep custody of her sister despite their arguing and sisterly ways, it's very powerful to watch. When Nani sees her sister wish for an angel to come and be her friend they go to the animal shelter to adopt a dog. Cue in Stitch, he's an alien from another planet but is very smart and highly adaptive. He pretends to be a dog and Lilo being unique as she is wants him immediately.

Stitch is... Unique

The film follows their adventures together as Lilo teaches Stitch about Elvis and Stitch avoids being captured and brought back home as a prisoner because he is dangerous and destructive. He learns about what family means (hint, OHANA!) and changes his destructive ways to help Lilo and to join her family.

Lilo Teaches Stitch How to Move


I teared up at one point. This movie is so sweet. I find that having dogs myself made me want to cuddle with them while I watched this movie... only my golden retriever likes to cuddle though:

Me Snuggling with my Dog

This movie is fun and enjoyable for the family and has great Hawaii and Elvis music. Lilo's relationship with Stitch is cute and funny. The Hawaiian music, surfing, beautiful animation and great storytelling make this movie solid. It is worth watching.


Lilo and Stitch



Lilo and Stitch was nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Feature. It is currently at 86% on Rotten Tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment